How to Release A Suspended Driver’s License

driver's license suspension

If monthly child support payments are not received when due, the payer’s driver’s license may be suspended.  Professional licenses, such as for contractors or cosmetologists and recreational licenses like fishing and hunting licenses can be suspended as well.  If payment is overdue by more than 30 days, a notification is automatically sent to California licensing agencies, including the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The licensing agency will send a letter to the paying parent and must receive a response within 150 days of notification or action may be taken. If a payment is overdue a second time, notification will be mailed again and the parent has only 30 days to respond before the license is suspended.

If a parent receives such a notification from the DMV or any of the California licensing agencies, they should contact the child support agency handling their case immediately. Child support agencies can help avoid this action or assist with license release. Every case is different, and requirements for the release will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

If a parent is aware that payment may be difficult or impossible to make, it is very helpful to inform the child support agency in advance, so that all of the options for payment can be discussed. Programs are available to assist and good communication helps everyone work through the process.

Watch the brief video below, or contact a local office to find out more.